Miss Rae and I went to Walmart. Our list consisted of:
1. Cake mix (for today’s cool cake idea)
2. Chapstick (cause my kids have perpetually chapped lips)
3. Orange tic-tacs (because it’s not Christmas without tic-tacs in your stocking)
4. Photos for Christmas gifts
5. 37 other things that I didn’t know I needed
I picked up the envelope of photos from the photo counter and went to the front to make my 41 purchases.
I don’t know how it happened, but the shopper in front of me accidentally got my photos (paid for them too, I guess) and I had to re-order and then make Matty B go pick them up later.
Someone, somewhere has 10 of the same photos of my kidlets and they’re very confused.
I was so mad.
Apparently anger makes me generous because Miss Rae raided my pockets for quarters to ride the Walmart warthog.
It was the one good thing that came out of our fateful Walmart trip.
Well, cake mix was the other good thing.
So here’s how you make the coolest cake ever.
1. Buy two boxes of white cake mix. Prepare batter to package specifications.
2. Scoop out 2 cups of batter, divided, and let your kiddos go crazy with the food coloring.
3. Bake the colored batter in a mini muffin pan. A squeeze bottle allows little hands to
squirt red batter everywhere help.
4. Once the colored muffins have cooled, put a handful in a larger cake pan. Cover with remaining white batter. I did two pans for layers.
5. Invert baked cakes and let cool.
6. Ice as desired. Of course I chose chocolate.
7. Slice, and impress.
I think they were impressed.